Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform layout, construction and diagnosis of highly intricate plastic injection molding tools, dies, jigs, fixtures, gauges and machine parts.
- Work with process engineer to implement and debug new tools.
- Use broad general instructions, where details involve considerable tool development and experimental work, and minimal supervision.
- Study specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Clean, repair and set up plastic injection molding tools.
- Maintain equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and regulations. Reports materials, equipment or process problems to supervisor.
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as EDM, CNC, lathe, milling machine, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Lifts machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances.
- Examines standard or previously used tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Develops specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product.