Woodstock, CT | Direct Hire
Job Title: Product Development /Tooling Engineer
Reports To: VP of Manufacturing
FLSA Status: Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Review all customer prints for manufacturing feasibility. Define part weight, manufacturing process (including cycle time, shot weight and any post-press operations).
- Source vendors (tool houses) to quote new tools and any related manufacturing processes or equipment.
- Coordinate Tool Guidelines with Vendors, review process and die design concept.
- Manage tool projects with vendors and conduct weekly follow up.
- Interface with customers on manufacturing feasibility and tool design (gate location, parting lines, knock-outs, etc.).
- Provide clear process definition and process window for new products using scientific molding principles.
- Work with Quality and Manufacturing to define the measurement strategy and control plan for new parts. Verify implementation assures proper production and measurement of all print requirements.
- Provide value added Engineering to customers on initial project, meetings with customers when job is awarded. Review product prints with customer and define with Engineering.
- Coordinate initial sampling of tool while working closely with Quality Control, Manufacturing and Customers.
- Resolve problems with customers with initial samples, including revising print and setting critical tool dimensions for manufacturing.
- Set up Bills of Materials, manufacturing process sheet, assign raw material part numbers, etc. on all new parts.
- Update Bills of Material as needed while maintaining raw material file.
- Coordinate with Purchasing to obtain raw material for sampling and initial mass production run.
- Distribute E.C.N. to affected parties and maintain log and distribution list.
- Perform print audit once a year to assure proper revision levels are up to date.
- Manage Special Engineering Projects as assigned by Sales/Marketing to meet customer requirements.
- Utilize internal resources and research to complete the projects.
- Manage the quotation log weekly. Including following up on open quotes and defining them being price competitive, specific tool pricing, delivery time frame and status of job being sourced to us. Provide feedback to resolves quote problems.
- Communicate directly with customers and provide value added Engineering regularly. Once job is awarded, review product prints and define work with the development of new products and parts.
- Tool performance – produces parts to print out of tool, at quoted cost (part weight and cycle time)
- Initial sample and completed tool On Time Delivery
- Manufacturing process fully and clearly defined including process windows using scientific molding principles.
- Measurement and control plan implementation – assures good parts every time
- Solving of production problems
- Customer Satisfaction
- Timely quotes to customers and Vendors
- Accuracy of raw material and bill of material files in Epicor
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data.
Design - Generates creative solutions; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
Project Management - Develops project plans and completes projects on time and budget.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
Strategic Thinking - Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; Follows through on commitments.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor' s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have intimate knowledge of Solid Works, Moldflow, Microsoft Excel, Project and Word.
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms.