Woodstock, CT | Direct Hire
Job Title: Tool Maker
Reports To: Manufacturing Manager
Summary: Analyzes specifications and drawings, lays out metal stock, sets up and operates machine tools, and fits and assembles parts to fabricate and repair plastic injection molding tools, jigs and fixtures, and gauges by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform layout, construction and diagnosis of highly intricate plastic injection molding tools, dies, jigs, fixtures, gauges and machine parts.
- Work with process engineer to implement and debug new tools.
- Use broad general instructions, where details involve considerable tool development and experimental work, and minimal supervision.
- Study specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Clean, repair and set up plastic injection molding tools.
- Maintain equipment and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and regulations. Reports materials, equipment or process problems to supervisor.
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as EDM, CNC, lathe, milling machine, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Lifts machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances.
- Examines standard or previously used tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Develops specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design - Applies design principles.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses.
Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs.
Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Cost Consciousness - Develops and implements cost saving measures.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities.
Quantity - Meets productivity standards.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 4-5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Manufacturing software, CNC and EDM programming.
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and vibration.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.