Springfield, MA | Blow Molding
Position Title: Production and Development Process Engineer
Reporting To: Technical Director
Business/Dept.: Design & Development Date: 4/15/01
Perform mental and physical acts required for the successful execution of new development projects meeting deadlines and maintaining budget. Accountable for the optimization and continuous improvement of existing production jobs to increase quality, reduce scrap, and increase efficiency and output.
Assists management and co-workers to maximize productivity, safety, quality, team building, trouble-shooting and maintenance through his/her expertise in a given job function. Support all shifts as needed.
Positional scope includes tool development, process development, and process specifications for the design and development of existing and new project samples.
Responsible for research and development work, solution of problems, design of new processes, mechanisms or adaptations for wide variety of equipment. Make alterations or changes to facilitate production. Discuss/consult with sales or customer service on product requirements, specifications where design or manufacturing problems are involved.
May supervise/direct work of others as required.
Hour of work: Regular hours will be 7: 30 am - 4: 00pm Tuesday through Friday. Monday (or other designated start up day/time) normally 6: 00 am – 3: 00pm. (less ½ hour unpaid daily lunch). Some call-ins may be required. Overtime will be for specific reasons and approved in advance by Senior Management. Hours of work may be revised to support production efficiencies and business requirements. Flexibility with hour of work is required. The Company reserves the right to revise regular hours of work in the future.
- Provide direction and support for initial development prior to set-up and run-off of production samples.
- Manage the process for set-up preparation and tear down inspection and storage.
- Responsible for thorough and efficient prep work for upcoming production jobs.
- Oversee mold preparation and optimize the process for production efficiencies, safety and quality initiatives.
- Responsible for the development, accuracy, storage and completion of production run sheets. Maintains these documents in conformance with CBAs, policies, and ISO 9001 requirements.
- Ownership of assigned maintenance items as outlined on the attached list (See Attachment A) which may be appended, updated or modified from time to time. Responsibilities are not limited to the specific equipment mentioned therein as management or prevailing conditions may require cross training or shared responsibilities.
- Perform other responsibilities as directed by management to meet or exceed project objectives. Required to provide technical support through hands-on interaction with equipment, molding machines, etc.
- Provide any necessary training, transfer of skills, etc., whenever required (and/or in an effort to improve co-worker knowledge) and to whomever selected, in order to enhance the knowledge, skills, flexibility and continual improvement and growth of the company.
- Maintains documentation in conformance with CBA’ s, policies and ISO 9001 requirements.
- Communicate with vendors and vendor management as required.
- Exhibit mechanical dexterity to perform routine set-ups, repairs, and adjustments to machinery.
- Routinely lift machine parts and items weighing up to50 lbs.
- Perform lifting functions up to 100 lbs. (machine parts, maneuvering heads, etc.)
- Exhibit close tolerance strength such as loosening and tightening bolts in narrow spaces.
- Good vision (correctable to 20/20) to set-up and monitor manufacturing process and machine troubleshooting.
- Ability to work while standing for long periods of time (4 hours straight).
- Ability to fulfill overtime requirements as needed to complete tasks on time and support customer demands.
- Ability to work in an environment with rapidly moving equipment and to tolerate noise and dust level associated with such equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and arms, climb, talk and hear.
- Exhibit mechanical comprehension.
- Ability to read and write at a level such that he/she can comprehend the company manuals.
- Ability to read and comprehend change instructions, order specifications, and machine manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to handle stress associated with meeting deadlines (minimum machine downtime, etc.)
- Ability to interact and get along with co-workers.
- Must be committed to fulfilling positional responsibilities, personal goals and Company goals with the definition of committed meaning: Doing whatever it takes, no matter what, that is within the realm of integrity.
Education and Experience:
A high school degree (or equivalent) is required, with an advanced technical degree a plus. Five (5) years minimum experience with continuous extrusion shuttle blow molding machines (i.e. Fischer, Bekum, or equivalent) along with some machine repair background.
Requires extensive knowledge and comprehension of blow molding process, tools and equipment. Strong technical skills required.
Has access to confidential data, such as product plans, costs, and designs, which, if disclosed, could significantly weaken the company' s competitive position. Must execute a Confidential Non-Disclosure Agreement, which remains in effect for 2 years after separation from the Company.
Constant contact with the company' s functions, plus occasional outside contact with customers and vendors.
Must work independently to achieve project schedules and goals. Expected to be flexible and support the project objectives and deadlines beyond the normal schedule, if/when necessary. May be responsible for overseeing the activities of others. Responsible for providing direction to staff for set-up and tear downs to ensure completion within deadlines. Must demonstrate ongoing capability for delivering high quality craftsmanship with little supervision.
Effects of Errors:
Errors could impact the company' s customer requirements in quality, price or delivery. This would cause an adverse impact on costs of the business, lost market share and failure to meet the company' s sales and profit goals.
Admin\job description\ production process engineer