Assistant Manager - Injection Engineering
Dayton, OH | Injection Molding
Technical Skill Requirements:
- AS Degree in Engineering or technical field or equivalent professional experience
- 2 – 4 years professional experience in a process engineering or technical position, preferably in injection molding environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of functionality of production and tooling equipment in an injection molding situation
- Excellent project management and planning skills
- Excellent mathematical aptitude
- Ability to read part and tool drawings (AutoCad)
- Knowledge of injection molding manufacturing techniques, processes and machinery
- Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills
- General knowledge of hydraulics and electrical principles
Performance Skill Requirements:
- Analysis: Able to gather relevant data using appropriate methodologies and analyze that data in such a manner that valid conclusions and insinuations can be drawn that assist in making important business decisions.
- Attention to Detail: Able to follow detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; carefully monitors processes; concentrates on details and organizes and maintains a system of records.
- Project Management: Able to develop plans that are effective in attaining established goals; garners resources and defines processes to complete project; manages progress and implements mid-stream changes, as needed.
- Problem Solving: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focuses on process rather than isolated events; obtains multiple assessments of a situation and identifies trouble spots; evaluates alternative solutions.
- Team Work: Able to share credit with coworkers; displays enthusiasm and promote a friendly work environment; works closely with other departments, as necessary; supports group decisions; displays team spirit.
Other Key Competencies:
- Commitment to Task: Able to take responsibility to actions and persists despite obstacles; demonstrates dependability in difficult circumstances and shows a sense or urgency for results.
- Quality: Able to maintain high standards despite pressing deadlines; establishes high standards and measures; does work right the first time; tests new methods thoroughly; reinforces excellence as a fundamental priority.
- Communication: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; talks with customers or clients; listens well.
- Prioritizing: Able to use sound judgment in evaluating the relative urgency of various issues; appropriately classifies in terms of time sensitivity, impact, complexity, importance, etc
- Energizing Others: Able to exhibit a “ can-do” approach and inspires associates to excel; uses competition to encourage others; develops performance standards and confronts negative attitudes; develops team spirit.
Essential Accountabilities, Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and leadership on daily production issues
- Analyze scrap data and plan scrap reduction activities
- Prepare for and attend scrap review board meeting
- Develop methods for scrap reduction
- Allocate resources and adopt countermeasures to resolve issues
- Injection Engineering support activities
- Daily Process Engineering meetings to review goals and work assignments
- Coaching and counseling individual engineers on project work
- Build baseline of quality resolution projects for Process Engineering department
- Update data to Bear Tracker (cycle time, downtime and job tracking)
- Update schedule board data to the Injection Molding division database
- Assist Tech Center for new model mold development and cell layout
- Attend meetings, as needed
- Daily staff/production meeting
- With PDQ to implement permanent countermeasures for issues
- Other projects and duties, as assigned
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities for the following positions: injection engineers. Duties include planning work for subordinates, observing performance, appraising, developing, coaching and holding subordinates accountable for results.
Work requires a high level of judgment, analytic ability and creativity, such as investigating moderately complex problems or situation, analyzing information and recommending solutions
Receives moderate supervision; objectives or goals are established in advance, but little in the way of a course of action is generally specified or recommended
Frequency of Independent Judgment Exercised
Position’ s Type of Job Tasks
Performs complex tasks requiring extensive knowledge of department’ s work
Environment and Conditions
The incumbent spends approximately 15-50% of his/her time developing and maintaining business contacts within the organization and up to 15% of his/her time with external contacts. The purpose of these contacts is to gather information about new products, discuss customer problems, share information about internal problems, discuss problems and countermeasures with current production parts, negotiate prices or identify best materials for use.
This position works in an open office environment. Exposure to weather elements is not likely. Incumbents are not likely to drive a vehicle while performing job responsibilities. Incumbents spend approximately 35% sitting, 35% standing and 30% walking in the course of this position and are unlikely to lift anything greater than 10 pounds. Incumbents will use the following office machines while performing job duties: computer, printer, copier, fax, telephone and calculator.